The market and the boundaries for computer games, video games, virtual worlds, and fantasy sports continues to expand exponentially — from the console, to the web, to mobile apps. For game developers and publishers, the governance of these universes (many with their own currencies) raises legal issues. We understand that preserving a sustained, rich user experience is just as important as protecting your intellectual property and ensuring regulatory compliance. We have a unique practice advising many online gaming, gambling, and fantasy sports sites.
We have skillfully guided several of the most prominent names in the game industry in critical legal matters, providing them with a full range of services, including:
- Developing and implementing comprehensive anti-fraud and anti-piracy programs and pursuing and defending claims concerning the illegal appropriation or misuse of Intellectual Property.
- Suing or taking creative, non-traditional enforcement actions against hackers, cheats, in-game spammers, RMT sellers, and others who disrupt the game experience.
- Defending clients in regulatory inquiries and suits, including class actions by players raising challenges to game practices.
- Counseling on the legality of game technologies including those related to games of skill, online gambling, marketing, behavioral advertising, fraud detection and chat monitoring.
- Advising clients on privacy, security, and safety issues with the operation of online worlds.
- Counseling real-money games on compliance with state and federal gambling laws.
- Providing legal opinions and memos on the legality of operations in various jurisdictions.
- Developing game rules and dispute mechanism procedures.