Mason focuses on privacy, security, and Internet issues, with emphasis on helping companies that are subject to both U.S. and European law, including in relation to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), ePrivacy rules, Privacy Shield, Standard Contractual Clauses (a/k/a “Model Contracts”), and the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”). A former web designer, he has extensive experience with the technology that drives digital media and e-commerce.
His work includes:
- Advising software developers and technology manufacturers on privacy and security issues in product design.
- Helping clients manage risk in the creation, marketing and licensing of innovative data services.
- Designing compliant, data-driven, global marketing strategies.
- Advising participants in the online advertising ecosystem on legal and self-regulatory compliance strategy.
- Negotiating technology transactions, intellectual property licenses and other commercial agreements.
- Developing information governance programs.
- Conducting comprehensive enterprise-wide privacy and security assessment and remediation programs, including reviews of collection, use, disclosure, storage and disposal of personal data.
- Managing data breach response.
- Resolving regulatory audits and inquiries.
- Representing clients in dispute resolution.
- Addressing a wide range of other privacy, security and Internet issues, including in the areas of data collection, data sharing, computer crime, employee monitoring and other electronic surveillance, online content, children’s privacy, health privacy, financial privacy, information management, trade secrets and intellectual property.
Mason is the former Chair of the Privacy Subcommittee of the NYC Bar Association’s Information Technology Law Committee. New York Super Lawyers has selected him as a “Super Lawyer” (and previously as a “Rising Star”) in every yearly announcement since 2011.
On October 10, 2019, the California Attorney General issued its notice of proposed rulemaking containing its proposed CCPA Regulations. In many instances, the draft Regulations go beyond simply clarifying existing CCPA provisions and ...Read More
Hawai’i Governor David Ige (D) has vetoed HB702 HD1 SD2, which would have restricted the sale of certain location information. The governor explained that the “lack of clarity in this ...Read More
- Notable GDPR Enforcement Actions in the First Year and Key Takeaways
- New EU Cookie Consent Recommendation from Advocate General
- EU to Allow Geographic Limits on Right-to-Be-Forgotten Requests if Court Adopts New AG Opinion
- Avoiding Liability for Customers’ Canadian Spam Law Violations
- The Importance of Being Honest & Accurate in Representing your Privacy Shield Status
- Privacy Shield Applicants Shouldn’t Misrepresent Certification Status, FTC Warns
- One Month Till GDPR! Seven Insights and Predictions